PART I - The program development environmentAuthor(s): The CLIP Group.
This part documents the components of the basic Ciao program development environment. They include:
- the standalone compiler, which creates executables without having to enter the interactive top-level.
- (also invoked simply as ciao) is an interactive top-level shell, similar to the one found on most Prolog systems (with some enhancements).
- a Byrd box-type debugger, similar to the one found on most Prolog systems (also with some enhancements, such as source-level debugging). This is not a standalone application, but is rather included in ciaosh, as is done in other systems supporting the Prolog language. However, it is also embeddable, in the sense that it can be included as a library in executables, and activated dynamically and conditionally while such executables are running.
- an interpreter/compiler for Ciao scripts (i.e., files containing Ciao code which run without needing explicit compilation).
- Ciao emacs interface:
- a complete program development enviroment, based on GNU emacs, with syntax coloring, direct access to all the tools described above (as well as the preprocessor and the documenter), atomatic location of errors, source-level debugging, context-sensitive access to on-line help/manuals, etc. The use of this environment is very highly recommended!